Thursday, March 3, 2011

Early rhododendrons on the Mendocino Coast

Heidi here!

I have to say, I'm not a patient donkey, and thank goodness our wonderful rhododendrons are in bloom at last at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens.

Did you know that rhododendrons only grow in very specific spots on earth -- and the Mendocino Coast is one of those rare spots in North America?

We are so blessed -- between our temperate weather, ocean views, fertile soil that ensures the best cuisine on earth, ancient trees that tower over us, and I could go on and on!

According to Monique, I frequently do.

It's not my fault spring is so glorious in our home!

I am so looking forward to popping up to the Gardens to take a peek at the whales and visit the rhodies at the same time. They are planning very special whale watching walks at the gardens, in conjunction with this year's whale festivals, starting this weekend!

The bounty is almost too much for me. If I were a donkey from an earlier era, I'd be tempted to swoon. But then Monique is always on hand to provide a reality check. We are modern miniature donkeys. Our dignity is everything to us. Next to our meals. And having our backs scratched.

Here's another rhodie photo from the gardens. Catch me if I faint!

No comments:

Post a Comment